Thursday 23 July 2015

AU's iconic animal

The Koala
10 Apr 2015 | From Shellani of the Philippines
COLLEAGUE FRIEND

Shellani, an office friend, was assigned in Australia for a few months. Before leaving for AU, I told her to send me a postcard from AU and write to me about her experiences while there. She chose this postcard for me adding that it reminded her of me. Interestingly, when I received the postcard, it reminded me of her - hahaha!

This is my second koala postcard. The koala is the official fauna symbol of Queensland, Australia. They are an iconic symbol of Australia, and one of their best known animals. The koala is a small bear-like, tree-dwelling, herbivorous marsupial which averages about 9kg (20lb) in weight. Its fur is thick and usually ash grey with a tinge of brown in places.

The koala gets its name from an ancient Aboriginal word meaning "no drink" because it receives over 90% of its hydration from the Eucalyptus leaves (also known as gum leaves) it eats, and only drinks when ill or times when there is not enough moisture in the leaves. ie during droughts etc.

The koala is the only mammal, other than the Greater Glider and Ringtail Possum, which can survive on a diet of eucalyptus leaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment