Tuesday 3 March 2015

Germany's drinking culture

A toast to that
3 Dec 2014 | From Ute of Germany
OFFICIAL POSTCROSSING

The words in the front of the postcard, according to Ute, translates to 'I'm not good. I'm great.' Such confidence! I've uttered those words before. But only playfully and jokingly. I still have a long way to go before I can confidently speak those words. Maybe if I were drunk? :p

Drinking is a huge part of the German culture. In Germany, beer is about the same price as water, and drinking alcohol in public is common as well as legal. Germany is one of the heaviest alcohol-drinking nations in Europe. The legal drinking age in Germany is 16, though kids must wait until they're 18 to drink spirits, and alcohol can be purchased in grocery stores, gas stations and even newspaper stands. It can be consumed in restaurants, cafes and snack bars, and it's not uncommon to see people drinking in parks, on the streets and even on public transport.


Addendum (3 Mar 2015): My friend from Germany told me that the funny quote in the postcard (with the right picture) actually means: "I´m not well-behaved, I´m great". In German it sounds more funny and you need not much beer to pronounce it right. Thanks, Andreas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment