Monday 2 February 2015

A Tuttu Jänis photograph

Carousel provincial party in Kuopio
24 Nov 2014 | From  Maarit of Finland
OFFICIAL POSTCROSSING

This photograph was taken by Tuttu Jänis in 1930 in the city of Kuopio. It is a carousel and not a Ferris wheel, but I thought I'd group it with my Ferris wheels postcard collection anyway. This postcard was from the photo-archives of Kuopio, a city and a municipality located in the region of Northern Savonia, Finland. Maarit bought the card during a visit to a museum.

Tuttu Aaro Rafael Jänis (October 26, 1905 St. Petersburg - 18 February 1980 in Kuopio) is a Finnish photographer. He served as editor-in-chief for Pohjois-Savo Magazine, and also acted as a subscription and advertising photographer, depicting a variety of events, competitions, fairs, buildings, etc.

The stamp shows a Viking, Norse seafarers. This is not the first time that I have received a stamp from Finland similar to this. During that time, I actually thought that the sender decorated the stamp with stickers - adding eyes and lips to form a face of a lady. Now I realize those stickers are indeed part of the stamp. I wonder how many Finnish 'face' stamps are there?

No comments:

Post a Comment