Monday 9 June 2014

The Malerweg Hiking Trail For Painters

(back-side of a 2014 pocket calendar)
The Painter's Route
3 Jun 2014 | From Andreas of Germany
SURPRISE POSTCARD

Andreas and I have been exchanging some e-mail messages after he registered the official postcard I sent him. He received the postcard a month after the Typhoon Haiyan devastation, and he was asking about the situation in our country. Twas a brief e-mail conversation. I only sent an e-mail again during the Christmas and New Year holidays. I thought that was it until I received birthday greetings from him come April. Since I still have his address, I decided to thank him through a postcard. Then I got this reply envelope from him.

Andreas got this postcard when he walked the "Malerweg". Malerweg means "Painters’ Route" or "Painter's way". The area was quite popular with the “early romantic” painters during the late 18th century. One of those famous painters was Canaletto. He was born in Italy, but moved to Dresden and became a painter for the Saxonian court. The picture in the postcard and pocket calendar are some of Canaletto's works.

No comments:

Post a Comment