Sunday 13 April 2014

My first postcard from Bangladesh - a swap 8 months in the making

Historical Lalbagh Fort Mosque
10 Jan 2014 | From Foysal of Bangladesh
FACEBOOK SWAP

Foysal and I arranged our postcard swap last May 2013. He received my postcard after a few weeks. But unfortunately, his postcard did not reach me - until I eventually forgot about the swap. Then late October of the same year, Foysal found me in Facebook through the FB Postcrossing page. He sent me a message regarding our previous swap. He felt bad about his postcard not reaching me (though I never really feel bad about postcards not reaching me as such are inevitable), and asked me if I would like to swap again. And he would also send me an extra card to make up for the lost one.

We did swap again, and after a few weeks he received my card. It took quite a while though before I got his. Almost two months. I received his mail 10th of January 2014. Our little swap is almost 8 months in the making. Then I realized the envelope has a "Missent to Thailand" postmark. I wonder, maybe my other postcard is still in Thailand somewhere...

About the this card, Lalbagh Fort (also Fort Aurangabad) is an incomplete 17th century Mughal fort complex in Dhaka, Bangladesh. The construction was started in 1678 AD by Mughal Subahdar Muhammad Azam Shah who was son of Emperor Aurangzeb and later Emperor himself. His successor, Shaista Khan did not continue the work, though he stayed in Dhaka up to 1688.

Located on the banks of the Buriganga River on the outskirts of Dhaka, Lalbagh Fort offers a fascinating glimpse into the history of Bangladesh. This magnificent, but unfinished, 17th century Mughal palace fortress consists of a series of structures surrounded by lush lawns and cultivated gardens, complete with a large collection of statues.

No comments:

Post a Comment