Saint Sophia Cathedral | Ivan Medvedev
25 Oct 2013 | From Ira of Belarus
Saint Sophia Cathedral in Polotsk is probably the oldest church in Belarus. It was built between 1044 and 1066 by Prince Usiaslau - the Wizard.
The Cathedral stands at the confluence of the Polota and Western Dvina Rivers on the eastern side of the city.
The cathedral was built as a symbol of equality with the second Rome - Constantinople. Like in Kyiv and Novgorod where there were also temples in honour of St Sofia, the Saint Sophia Cathedral in Polotsk was intended to be a testimony to the power and independence of the Principality of Polotsk.