Monday 11 May 2015

My first postcard from Paraguay

Burrerita volviendo a caso
3 Feb 2015 | From Lando of Mexico 
POSTCROSSING FRIEND | POSTCARD SENT FROM PARAGUAY

This postcard came as a surprise. It arrived without a postcard ID, a return address, even the sender's name or signature. Just the words 'Greetings from Paraguay'. It definitely not a swap since I haven't made any from Paraguay. I deducted that it might be an official Postcrossing postcard with the sender failing to write the ID or it might be a postcard from one of my friends in the Americas - and I only have three at that time. From Chile, Guatemala, and Mexico. The thing is I don't recognize the handwriting from any of them. So I reduced it to being an official postcard.

Turned out it was Lando of Mexico, and he asked his friend while in Paraguay to prepare, write, and send the postcard to me. I posted the postcard in my Facebook and that is where he saw it. Mystery solved! Now what's left for me is to translate the postcard's title as written at the back of the card: 'Burrerita volviendo a caso'

Paraguay is a landlocked country in central South America, bordered by Argentina to the south and southwest, Brazil to the east and northeast, and Bolivia to the northwest. Due to its central location in South America, it is sometimes referred to as Corazón de América ("Heart of America"). The name of the river, Paraguay, is thought to come from Guaraní, derived from para, "of many varieties", and gua, "riverine".

The capital and largest city is Asunción, of which the metropolitan area is home to nearly a third of Paraguay's population. In contrast to most Latin American nations, Paraguay's indigenous language and culture, Guaraní, remains highly influential. Guaraní is recognized as an official language alongside Spanish, and both languages are widely spoken in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment