House with Chimeras
24 Nov 2014 | From Nastya of Ukraine
In 1901-1903 popular and spectacular Kiev architect Vladislav Gorodezhkii put up a private house that is known as a House with Chimeras. The House of Chimaeras or Gorodetsky House translates in Ukrainian into Budynok z khymeramy. Located on a hillside across the street from the Presidential office in the historic Lypky quarter of Kiev, the capital of Ukraine, the six-story Art Nouveau building was built between 1901 and 1902.
Architect Vladislav Gorodetsky originally constructed the House with Chimaeras for use as his own upmarket apartment building during the period of 1901–1902. However, as the years went by, Gorodetsky eventually had to sell the building due to financial troubles, after which it changed ownership numerous times before finally being occupied by an official Communist Party polyclinic until the early 2000s. When the building was vacated, its interior and exterior decor were fully reconstructed and restored according to Gorodetsky's original plans.
Nowadays, the House of Chimaeras has a dual purpose. It serves as a filial of the National Museum of Arts and as a meeting place for diplomatic and official ceremonies.