Norfolk Island, South Pacific
10 Sept 2014 | From Lyn of Norfolk Island
Cliff top at Simons Water (photo by Keith Jackson), Kingston, Kingston Aerial view, Burnt Pine street view
Norfolk Island was a penal colony for the British colony of New South Wales during the periods 1788–1814 and 1825–1855. In 1856 it was settled by former inhabitants of the second largest of the Pitcairn Islands. Permanent residents of Norfolk Island are still almost entirely descendants of these Pitcairn Islanders; other Australian citizens cannot move to Norfolk Island freely.
The postcard shows a myriad of sights Norfolk Island has to offer. Simon’s Water, almost at the end of Stockyard Road, has been a part of Norfolk Island’s history since the earliest convict days. The land was granted to Simon Young, and the name “Simon’s Water” was first used for the waterfall and creek at the other end of the property from the road. Today, Simon’s Water is owned by Bernie Christian-Bailey. It is used for farming. Vegetables and Coffee are grown, and cattle, horses and pigs are kept there.
Kingston is the capital of the Australian South Pacific Territory of Norfolk Island. The town is the second-oldest in Australia, and is of great historical and cultural significance to all Norfolk Islanders and other Australians. Kingston is the township founded on Norfolk by the First Settlers. It was subsequently the main township during the Second and early Third Settlements. Today the main commercial centre is Burnt Pine, with Kingston being the main administrative and historical centre of the island. It is built on the only flat, sea-level land available on Norfolk.
Burnt Pine is the largest town on Norfolk Island. It is the main commercial hub of the island, and travel from one side of the island to another generally involves passing through Burnt Pine.