Friday 26 September 2014

My first written and stamped postcard from Myanmar

Myanmar's Historical Heritage
10 Sept 2014 | From Jeli Ko Ko of Myanmar
FACEBOOK-POSTCROSSING SWAP

My first Myanmar postcards were sent from Hong Kong. And although I am happy to have received them, I still hope to receive postcards sent from Myanmar. Then, I've met Jeli Ko Ko from a Facebook friend. I was actually in the airport on my way to Hong Kong when we chatted through Facebook. We agreed to do a swap, and this is the first postcard he sent me.

Myanmar, or Burma, officially the Republic of the Union of Myanmar is a country in Southeast Asia. It lies on the Bay of Bengal and Andaman Sea coast with Bangladesh and India to the west, China to the north, and Laos and Thailand to the east. Like most of Southeast Asia's countries, Myanmar's people and history is a glorious mishmash of settlers and invaders from all fronts.

Myanmar's culture is largely a result of heavy Indian influences intertwined with local traditions and some Chinese influences. This can be seen in the various stupas and temples throughout the country, which bear a distinct resemblance to those in northern India.

Yangon, the former capital of Burma (Myanmar), is a haven for old-style colonial architecture. A treasure trove of old buildings from the era of the British colonialization are scattered around the city. They are prominent and beautiful structures that re-lives the rich history of Myanmar.

No comments:

Post a Comment