Altona, Hamburg 1900
10 Sept 2014 | From Andreas of Germany
Altona is the westernmost urban borough (Bezirk) of the German city state of Hamburg, on the right bank of the Elbe river. From 1640 to 1864 Altona was under the administration of the Danish monarchy. Altona was an independent city until 1937. In 2006 the population was 243,972.
Founded in 1535 as a village of fishermen in then Holstein-Pinneberg. As a small fishing village called Altwasser, it fell to the Danes in 1640. It was chartered in 1664, passed to Prussia in 1866, and was incorporated into Hamburg in 1937.