Monday 2 June 2014

People of Borneo

Borneo's indigenous tribe
28 May, 2014 | From Vanessa of Malaysia 
FACEBOOK SWAP

This is one of the first swaps I've made in Facebook-Postcrossing when I joined late October 2013. After a while, Vanessa and I eventually lost contact. I actually thought that this would be my only failed swap in Facebook-Postcrossing. Based on the dates, the postcard was written November 8, 2013 but it was postmarked May 5, 2014 in Kuching, Malaysia. Then it was delivered to me May 28, 2014. I am still clueless though if she managed to receive my postcard.

The Kayan are an indigenous tribe from the island of Borneo. The Kayan people are categorized as a part of the Dayak people of Borneo.

The traditional Iban Dayak male attire consists of a sirat (loincloth) attached with a small mat for sitting), lelanjang (headgear with colourful bird feathers) or a turban (a long piece of cloth wrapped around the head), marik (chain) around the neck, engkerimok (ring on thigh) and simpai (ring on the upper arms). The Iban Dayak female traditional attire comprises a short "kain tenun betating" (a woven cloth attached with coins and bells at the bottom end), a rattan or brass ring corset, selampai (long scarf) or marik empang (beaded top cover), sugu tinggi (high comb made of silver), simpai (bracelets on upper arms), tumpa (bracelets on lower arms) and buah pauh (fruits on hand).

No comments:

Post a Comment